|Question: How can I protect my privacy when using Pale Reflections?|
|Category: Privacy | Views: This question has been viewed 750 times|
|If you are a Pale Reflections member, you can help protect your privacy through various options in your profile.|
1. Not having your username remembered when logging in: Go to ‘my account’ > ‘my profile’ > ‘my login details’ and deselect the ‘Remember me when I log in’ checkbox. If this checkbox is selected your username will be remembered for one year (but your password is never remembered and you must enter it whenever you log in).
2. Do not accept instant messages: Go to ‘my account’ > ‘my profile’ > ‘message settings’ and deselect the ‘Accept incoming IMs (instant messages)’ checkbox. This will prevent other members from sending you instant messages.
3. Post anonymously: Go to ‘my account’ > ‘my profile’ > ‘message settings’ and select the ‘Post anonymously to chat/message board (hidden username & avatar)’ checkbox. This will hide your username and avatar when you post to the message board or participate in a chat. Note that this will not make your contributions anonymous but you can still prevent other members from viewing your contributions (see below).
4. Do not allow other members to know when you are online: Go to ‘my account’ > ‘my profile’ > ‘message settings’ and select to allow ‘nobody’ to see you when you are online. This hides the ‘(online)’ text that displays underneath your avatar whenever you are using the site.
5. Do not allow other members to search for you: Go to ‘my account’ > ‘my profile’ > ‘my preferences’ and deselect the ‘Allow other members to search for me & view my profile’ checkbox. When this checkbox is not selected, other members cannot search for you or view your profile. This does not make you anonymous; for example, your message board posts would still show as being posted by you but other members would not be able to view your profile and they would not be able to search for you.
6. Do not allow other members to view your contributions: Go to ‘my account’ > ‘my profile’ > ‘my preferences’ and deselect the ‘Allow other members to view my contributions’ checkbox. This will prevent other members from being able to search for and view your contributions.
7. Do not allow other members to send you private messages: Go to ‘my account’ > ‘my profile’ > ‘my preferences’ and deselect the ‘Allow other members to send me private messages’ checkbox. This will prevent other members from sending you private messages.
8. Do not receive email newsletters: Go to ‘my account’ > ‘my profile’ > ‘my preferences’ and deselect the ‘Receive email newsletters’ checkbox. If this checkbox is not selected, we will not send you any email newsletters unless you specifically go to the email newsletter page and request one.
9. Log your account out after inactivity: Go to ‘my account’ > ‘my profile’ > ‘my preferences’ and select the number of minutes most appropriate for your usage. If you typically only login to check your private messages, you might want to use a shorter length of time than if you post a lot of messages to the message board.
There are other precautions you should take when using Pale Reflections and when online in general:
1. Never give anyone your full name, address or telephone number. We also recommend not giving out your email address.
2. Never give out your credit card number, bank account number or any other personal financial data. Pale Reflections is free of charge and we will never request any financial information from you.
3. When selecting a Pale Reflections username, do not use your real name, email address, or any other identifiable information.
4. If you receive an email from us and it contains a link, make sure this link goes to pale-reflections.com. Any link that goes to an IP address or address other than pale-reflections.com is fake. If you receive an email like this, please contact us immediately and – whatever you do – do not click on the link in the email.
5. Pale Reflections will never send attachments to emails. If you receive an email from us and it contains an attached file, do not download it under any circumstances. The email should be deleted immediately.
6. We will never ask for your username and password. If you receive any requests for this information, please notify us immediately.